Our quarterly book club meetings are a chance to connect and reconnect with other parents while exploring a range of topics related to raising children. Come to the book club ready to discuss what you learned while reading the book selected for that session – what you liked, what was useful, and what didn’t make sense. The book club meetings are highly interactive with lots of discussion.
Monday, January 25th, 2021
The Essential Conversation: What Parents and Teachers Can Learn from Each Other — by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot
While IEP team meetings appear to be focused on the student, adults may find themselves playing out their own childhood histories, insecurities, and fears. Through vivid portraits and parables, Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot captures the dynamics of this complex, intense relationship from the perspective of both parents and teachers. She also identifies new principles and practices for improving family-school relationships.
Thursday, April 22nd, 2021
Thinking Fast and Slow — by Daniel Kahneman
Daniel Kahneman, world-famous psychologist and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. Kahneman reveals where we can and cannot trust our intuitions and how we can tap into the benefits of slow thinking.
Wednesday, July 14th, 2021
The Declarative Language Handbook — by Linda Murphy
This book was written to teach you how making small shifts in your language and speaking style will change your relationship with your child. You will stop telling kids what to do and instead thoughtfully give them information to help them make important discoveries in the moment. These moments build resilience, flexibility, and positive relationships over time.
Can’t Make It?
Stay informed about workshops, classes, lectures & book clubs!
Enter your email to receive email notifications about upcoming workshops
Previous Book Club selections:
- Self-Reg: How to Help Your Child (and You) Break the Stress Cycle and Successfully Engage with Life by Stuart Shanker, Ph.D.
- Far From the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity by Andrew Solomon
- Raising Human Beings: Creating a Collaborative Partnership With Your Child by Ross Greene, Ph.D.
- Not What I Expected: Help and Hope for Parents of Atypical Children by Rita Eichenstein, Ph.D.
- Smart But Scattered: The Revolutionary “Executive Skills” Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential by Peg Dawson & Richard Guare
- The Self-Driven Child: The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives by William Stixrud & Ned Johnson
- The Gardener and the Carpenter: What the New Science of Child Development Tells Us About the Relationship Between Parents and Children by Alison Gopnik
- Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert Sapolsky
- Differently Wired: Raising an Exceptional Child in a Conventional World by Deborah Reber
- Beyond Behaviors: Using Brain Science and Compassion to Understand and Solve Children’s Behavioral Challenges by Mona Delahooke, Ph.D.
- The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz, M.A.
- Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.
- The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon