Our quarterly book club meetings are a chance to connect and reconnect with other parents while exploring a range of topics related to raising children. Come to the book club ready to discuss what you learned while reading the book selected for that session – what you liked, what was useful, and what didn’t make sense. The book club meetings are highly interactive with lots of discussion.
Wednesday, July 14th, 2021
The Declarative Language Handbook — by Linda Murphy
This book was written to teach you how making small shifts in your language and speaking style will change your relationship with your child. You will stop telling kids what to do and instead thoughtfully give them information to help them make important discoveries in the moment. These moments build resilience, flexibility, and positive relationships over time.
Can’t Make It?
Stay informed about workshops, classes, lectures & book clubs!
Previous Book Club selections:
- Self-Reg: How to Help Your Child (and You) Break the Stress Cycle and Successfully Engage with Life by Stuart Shanker, Ph.D.
- Far From the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity by Andrew Solomon
- Raising Human Beings: Creating a Collaborative Partnership With Your Child by Ross Greene, Ph.D.
- Not What I Expected: Help and Hope for Parents of Atypical Children by Rita Eichenstein, Ph.D.
- Smart But Scattered: The Revolutionary “Executive Skills” Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential by Peg Dawson & Richard Guare
- The Self-Driven Child: The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives by William Stixrud & Ned Johnson
- The Gardener and the Carpenter: What the New Science of Child Development Tells Us About the Relationship Between Parents and Children by Alison Gopnik
- Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert Sapolsky
- Differently Wired: Raising an Exceptional Child in a Conventional World by Deborah Reber
- Beyond Behaviors: Using Brain Science and Compassion to Understand and Solve Children’s Behavioral Challenges by Mona Delahooke, Ph.D.
- The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz, M.A.
- Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.
- The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon
- The Essential Conversation: What Parents and Teachers Can Learn from Each Other by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot
- Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman