ONLINE Parent Child Journey
Dr. Dan Shapiro created the class, Parent Child Journey: An Individualized Approach to Raising Your Challenging Child, to help caregivers who have kids with challenging behaviors identify the source of their child’s behavior and learn what they can do about it. During each of the 10 online modules, you will learn from Dr. Shapiro as he describes proactive strategies for raising children with difficult temperaments and developmental differences. Designed to address the needs of families with children from preschool age through early adulthood, caregivers will learn to customize their approach to fit their child’s unique profile.
Dr. Wayland is one of the instructors trained to facilitate Dr. Shapiro’s class, and she is pleased to be hosting a discussion section for parents of kids in middle school and high school at 8pm Tuesday evenings starting February 1st, 2022. (Parents of younger kids can take the section facilitated by Dr. Shapiro.)
Dr. Wayland also works with individual families with children of any age as they take the self-paced version of the curriculum, helping them to develop and implement a customized plan that works for their family.
- Know Your Child/Know Yourself
- Time-In and Self-Care
- Engagement and Understanding
- Motivation through Positive Attention
- Self-Motivation & Learning from Experience
- Motivation through Rewards
- Ignoring and Timeout
- Pausing for Empathy and Self-Reflection
- Weaknesses, Strengths, and Independence
The Behavior Revolution
Penny Williams & Sarah Wayland created The Behavior Revolution with the goal of celebrating and supporting neurodiverse families through science-backed insights, strategies, compassion, and guidance.
- Penny Williams and I created The Behavior Revolution Program using our collective training and experience combined with the best from the experts in the field to offer you a customizable, step-by-step system to address behavior — a system that works for neurodiverse children. The system and course integrates the work of Stephen Porges, Mona Delahooke, Ph.D., Ross Greene, Ph.D., SPACE program from Yale, Deb Dana, Dr. Dan Siegel, Brenda Smith Myles, Jerome Schultz, Ph.D., and more. The core of the entire program is the autonomic nervous system and states of regulation/dysregulation — understanding the biology of behavior so that you can effectively help your child.
- The Parenting Collaborative: An online community of parents of neurodiverse kids that meets on Zoom twice a month.
- Expert Interviews: Since 2018, Penny Williams and I have interviewed over 125 of the world’s experts on autism, ADHD, and parenting as part of the Parenting Autism and Parenting ADHD Summits. Our experts share insights on the neurological basis for behavior, the impact of sensory struggles, effective symptom management, coping with emotional intensity, transitioning after high school, empowering your child for success, and more. Watch our curated collections to learn about Behavior, Emotions & Regulation, Social & Connection, Parenting, School & Learning, Teens, Executive Functioning, and Diagnosis.
First Put on Your Own Oxygen Mask
The workshop is for parents who want to improve their quality of life and their relationship with their children. To quote Brianna Wiest, “True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from.” This class will help you start the process of building a life that sustains you, even when things are hard.
In this eight-session workshop you will learn new ways to think about your problems and how to implement self-care strategies proven to reduce stress, even when life is incredibly busy. In addition to learning more about yourself, you will learn skills taught in cognitive and dialectical behavior therapy, as well as mindfulness–based stress reduction.
I am creating an online version of this class that will be posted in the Online Course section of The Behavior Revolution in 2022.
- Stages of Your Journey
- Understand Yourself
- Thoughts, Behavior & Feelings
- Pleasant Activities, Relaxation & Mindfulness
- Change Your Thinking
- Effective Communication
- Overcome Your Fears
Want to be notified?
Sign up for my monthly newsletter.